The Institute of Baltic Studies carried out an impact analysis of renewable energy and energy efficiency proposals in cooperation with experts in the field of renewable energy. The impact assessment was part of the just transition of Ida-Virumaa County in the field of renewable energy and energy efficiency, commissioned by the Estonian Fund for Nature (ELF), the Estonian Green Movement (ERL) and the Estonian Environmental Law Center (KÕK).
During the co-creation process, 18 different proposals were prepared, which are going to serve as an input to the Green Plan and for the implementation of the just transition. The present proposals were divided into four themes:
- wind energy
- solar energy
- energy efficiency
- energy storage
Some of the proposals were also cross-cutting and can be considered as a separate category.
The proposals were developed in autumn 2020 in a series of workshops involving relevant experts of their field. Some of them included energy and renewable energy developers; representatives of environmental organizations and local governments; officials and researchers from ministries and other public organisations.
Throughout the co-creation process, the Institute of Baltic Studies provided support and assistance to all experts and participants. For this, a separate methodological framework was developed which was based upon existing impact factors, baseline data and impact analysis tool with potential areas of influence, on which the experts relied in their work.
The proposals made during the co-creation process were focused on the following topics:
- achievement of climate goals
- availability of financial instruments and funding
- developing a local benefit model in Ida-Virumaa
- developing energy democracy, including the promotion of energy cooperatives
- launching pilot projects
- community identity transformation and social support (retraining)
The implementation of these proposals will enable to achieve the following goals:
- develop renewable energy (e.g. solar or wind energy) in the region and provide additional jobs
- improve the capacity of communities to produce energy (e.g. through energy cooperatives)
- increase the energy efficiency of houses and facilities and to promote co-generation of energy and heat
- to develop the capacity and opportunities for energy storage
- launch pilot projects and innovative solutions in renewable energy sector
The development of the Green Plan for Ida-Virumaa County is part of the Ida-Virumaa County Development Plan (Plan G), which includes not only the development of renewable energy but also the development of the circular, bio and blue economy. Plan G itself is part of the development strategy of Ida-Virumaa county for 2019-2030 +. Further information regarding all the proposals made within the co-creation process can be found here (in Estonian).